History of Georgetown Lutheran Church
During the past 250 years, three full histories have been compiled and published by leaders of our congregation:
- 1909: History of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Georgetown, by then-Pastor Luther Hess Waring.
- 1955: History of Georgetown Evangelical Lutheran Church, by Mary Allen Scrivener. "Aunt Mamie" also authored a 1959 Supplement, in honor of the church's 140th Anniversary and new parish building.
- 2019: History of Georgetown Lutheran Church, by Karol Stanley.
In addition, several in-depth research articles have been written, focusing on specific facets of this congregation's history. Please visit the history blog, or click on the links below, to learn more.
- 250 Years Ago: the First Church in Georgetown
- Four Sanctuaries on this Corner
- The Careers of Murphy and Olmsted, GLC's architects
- Beatty v. Kurtz (1829): GLC's Day at the Supreme Court
- Serving at-risk populations, the Free Clinic, and Whitman-Walker Health
A history timeline is also available on our website.